Invoice Financing

What is Invoice Financing

Invoice financing (also called accounts receivable financing) is one of the most popular small business loans that allow businesses to use unpaid invoices as collateral in exchange for upfront cash. Invoice financing companies advance 80% to 95% of the total invoice value upon approval. Once your customers pay their dues, you’ll receive the remaining 5% to 20% (minus a small transaction fee).

The main benefit of accounts receivable financing is that it frees up the cash tied to your outstanding invoices. With more capital available, you can cover day-to-day expenses, take in more customers and invest in growth opportunities.

Loan amount

$25,000 – $10,000,000+


Starting at 12%


As little as 24 hours

Key Takeaways

How Does Invoice Financing Work?

Ready to apply for Invoice Financing?

Get started

What are the Pros and Cons of Invoice Financing?

Just like other forms of business loans, invoice financing is not for everyone. Take a look at the pros and cons of invoice financing so you can weigh your options and make informed financial decisions for your company.

Pros of Invoice Financing

The invoices are the collateral. You don’t have to pledge other business or personal assets like real estate or inventory since the invoices are the collateral for the loan. This makes it easier for companies with bad credit to qualify and secure funding.

It can be inexpensive if your customers pay on time . Invoice financing can be expensive compared to other business loans, but it can be cost-effective if your customers pay on or before their due date. For traditional loans, you pay interest throughout the life of the loan. But for invoice financing, you’ll only need to pay the fees when the invoices are unpaid.

It helps improve cash flow due to unpaid customer invoices . You don’t have to wait 30 to 90 months to get your money. The money you get from invoice financing can help with cash flow issues since you can use the money for almost any business purpose..

It gives you fast access to working capital .One of the best perks of invoice financing is that it requires minimal documentation, and you can receive the money within 24 hours after approval. This is especially helpful for companies facing unforeseen expenses..

It’s easier to qualify for compared to traditional financing . Instead of focusing on your credit score and other financials, invoice financing companies are more interested in your invoices and customers’ creditworthiness. This makes it easier for companies with bad credit or insufficient business history to qualify..

Cons of Invoice Financing

Not an option for B2C businesses. You need to have outstanding invoices to qualify for invoice financing. B2C companies typically require immediate payments for the products and services they offer, so they may not be eligible for invoice financing.

Higher fees compared to traditional loans. Invoice financing is generally more expensive than a bank loan. Some lenders might ask borrowers to meet monthly minimums or pay exorbitant prices.

Risky if your customers pay late or default on their invoices. Invoice financing can be costly if your customers don’t pay on time. Some lending companies charge penalty fees for late payments or increase the weekly factoring rate. If your customers don’t pay their invoices at all, you may be asked to repay the lender in full, which could be harmful to your cash flow.

Ready to apply for Invoice Financing?

Get started


The main criteria considered used to determine if a business can qualify for accounts receivable financing are the creditworthiness of their customers and the amount of time the invoices will be out for. Generally, the more reputable a business’s customers are, the more likely the business will be qualified to use invoice lending.

The application process for invoice funding is not overly complex or time-consuming. A lender will confirm the outstanding invoices and the companies the business anticipates invoicing to ensure the clients are in good standing.

The collateral used for invoice lending is most often the open accounts receivable used to secure funding. You typically don’t need other forms of collateral like real estate, equipment, or inventory to qualify.

Generally, there’s no restriction on how you can use the funds from invoice financing as long as it benefits your business. Here are some of the most common ways small business owners use their working capital
  • Day-to-day operating expenses
  • Purchase inventory and materials
  • Bridge cash flow gaps
  • Pay employees
  • Business growth and expansion
  • Hire and train employees